Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Mike Martin Interview



Hey guys. So I had the pleasure of interviewing Ex-Fozzy and Stuck Mojo guitarist, Mike Martin. Hope you enjoy.

So the first question I have is: When did you realize you wanted to play guitar?

"I think I must have been about 7 or 8 years old. I had started playing violin when I was just about 4 and was always singing in church. Took piano lessons for a time as well but I loved the sound of the guitar I heard on the radio. My parents had taken me and my brother and sister t visit some of their friends and they had an acoustic guitar and I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I knew then I had to play it one day!"

That's really cool. Is there something about playing guitar that you really enjoy? Like maybe experimenting with riffs. 

"Guitar, for me, in every iteration, electric, hollow-body, acoustic, classical, all just speak to me. I feel most expressive with it. Whether I am writing, recording or playing tunes or improvising. Something about it just feels like my voice more than anything else. Like a real extension of myself, ya know? The best is standing in front of my speaker cabinets and feeling the notes moving the air around me. I am absolutely addicted to that feeling!"

I can relate to that. I'm addicted to the sound of a guitar when it's being played right. So I'm aware that you were in Fozzy and Stuck Mojo, so I want to know how you met Rich Ward? Did he discover you? Or did you contact him somehow?

"I actually met Rich way back in 1992 when I had first moved to Atlanta. Stuck Mojo was already one of the best bands to see in town at that point and that was still a few years before they signed with Century Media and put out "Snappin' Necks." There was a point back then when we were all hustling for work and a mutual friend of ours got us jobs doing landscaping with the same company. 

We didn't really know each other back then, I was aware of him because of being a fan of Mojo and I had a band I was trying to break into the scene at the time. Years later, around 2004, that same friend, Sean Delson, was playing bass for Fozzy and Ryan Mallam had just left the band and when Rich asked Sean about guys to audition he recommended me. We met up and I did an audition with the guys and the rest, as they say, is history!"

So did you enjoy your time in Fozzy? Or was there any tension between you and guys? I've never really heard anything about it.

"I loved it! Every tour was a blast. I can honestly say that touring and working with them was more like being around your best friends. Never any drama or stuff like that. Things always go sideways in the music business and Rich and Chris and the guys always have great attitudes about how to best deal with things as they happen. Proof that cooler heads always prevail fore sure. I earned a tremendous education getting the opportunity to work with them for those years that I will always look back fondly on.

My leaving the band after "Chasing The Grail" really had more to do with issues I was having in my personal life that were creeping into my professional life. I felt the need to control my work on the music I had written for the album to a fault as I did not feel I had control of much else in my life at the time and I was definitely over-compensating. I ended up alienating myself at a time when I needed those relationships more than I could estimate. Both professionally and personally. I am proud of the work, though. It came from a real emotional place for me. Definitely a high note for me and I am so glad to see the continued growth and success of the band. I love those guys as people and brothers very much."

I'm sorry you went through that. But I'm glad you enjoyed your time with Fozzy. So now, are you currently working on any music?

"Yes I have a few things I am working on at the moment. My band The Dreaded Marco have just about finished up our follow-up album to "Safe Word". We plan to get to work on full recording production for it later this year.

I have been working for a while now on my next solo instrumental album. It's called "Drive" and it is shaping up to be a double album of about 2 hours of music. Pre-production is still ongoing as it's a bigger project than I had initially anticipated but I plan to start full production and a pre-order / funding campaign this summer. I'm both crazy excited and terrified of this project. It is my most ambitious and emotional work to date. I think I am taxing and challenging just about every facet of myself on this one as a composer, guitarist, producer, recordist and mix engineer.

I also have some singles floating around that I am intending to work in collaboration with some other artists. Some of those may end up coming out before "Drive" and help me fund and promote this new full album."

So what can your fans expect from you in the future? I know in a way you technically answered this, but I was wondering if you have more to add. Like maybe something you want to work on in the future.

"There are several things I am working on and plan to roll out over the coming years including more content on my youtube channel, live stuff, live chats, gear demonstrations and reviews, lesson stuff, etc. I'm also working very hard to be able to tour with my new music and I want to bring that to as many places and countries as I can. Looking into not just traditional venues but home concerts and the like. This industry is in constant flux and I want to be able to perform and tour in a way that makes the most sense both artistically and financially. Live streaming shows is another avenue I am looking into as well. There are lots of ways to do it but I want to makes sure the quality and economics of it make the most sense. Using a platform like Patreon to fund it could be the most simple and direct too.

I plan to spend much more time on my classical composing too. It has been several years since I have premiered any new work and it's long overdue! I have a couple of other projects I am working up as well that will involve me transcribing music for the electric guitar that was originally composed for traditionally orchestral instruments as well as a presenting some of my favorite rock albums in concert as modern literature. Treat the rock band more like a modern ensemble, if you will. I think there is a lot of fun to be had exploring music this way without trying to be a "cover" or "tribute" band."

So when I asked about what Guitarist you would like to jam with, you said Frank Zappa. Was he a idol of yours? And did he influence your guitar work?

"Frank Zappa is my hero! Not only is his guitar playing hugely influential to me, but his style as a composer is out of this world. I have always said that if I had any hope of anyone listening to my guitar playing I would need to write a piece of music that they would have to care about. Then they would have to suffer through my playing! lol

Because I admired Frank so much in this way I majored in Music Theory and Composition in college rather than the guitar. I was fortunate to get to speak with Steve Vai about this and how big of an impact he, Frank and all of the guitarists and musicians that worked with Frank throughout his career have had on me. All of this stuff and Frank was an incredible producer, engineer, recordist and mixer. He was really doing some amazing things and working in a very independent way. I think Frank Zappa is someone that every musician and artist should learn about and consider studying. And not just for his creative processes and work, but his professional ideas and work ethic. Absolutely amazing to think about all of the work he managed to do!"

Final question: Do you have any advice for young up and coming guitarists?

"My advice to any guitarist or musician up and coming is to be open to everything and enjoy the process of discovery. The work we do never really stops. There is always more to learn, see, hear and do. Follow all of the paths that interest you and share your passion for ideas with others. We all need to remember to always be students as well as teachers. Some of my greatest experiences and influences are not necessarily with guitarists or guitar related music either. Music is not just about notes, theory and genres. It's all about life so make sure you go out there and live it!"

Thanks again to Mike Martin for taking the time to do this interview. Hope you guys enjoyed it.
Be forever metal.

No comments: