Thursday, May 11, 2017

Top 10 Metal guitarists



Hey guys. So I decided I want to try something new. I am going to start doing top 10 lists. I'm going to be doing top 10 greatest metal albums, top 10 metal front men, etc. So today I'm doing top 10 metal guitarists. Now, this list is just opinion based. I'm also not ranking it from greatest to worst or vice versa. The names are in the order that pop in my head. Hope you enjoy.

1.) Dave Mustaine
When I think of metal, I think of Megadeth. They have done so much for the metal community over the years, and continue to keep metal alive. But a big part of Megadeth's music is the guitar solos by self taught guitarist, Dave Mustaine. His speed along with the spider chord, are in my opinion, the glue that keeps the instrumental together in every Megadeth song. Their music wouldn't be the same without it.

2.) James Hetfield
When I think of metal, I also think of Metallica. Both them and Megadeth make half of the big four of metal. Now Metallica has also done a great service to metal, and is a big name among the metal community. Their lead guitarist and front man, James Hetfield, is very talented. I mean, singing and playing guitar is no easy task. But he does it so flawlessly, that he's definitely inspiration for anyone wanting to do it for themselves. Like Dave Mustaine, who said in an interview that he used James as an example on how to play guitar and sing.

3.) Rich Ward
A personal favorite guitar player of mine, but not very well known. Rich is the lead guitarist for the bands Stuck Mojo and Fozzy(led by WWE superstar Chris Jericho). Though Rich isn't very well known, he is very talented and respected among his fan and peers. He has also played on more than just his bands, and finding those projects are like cool Easter eggs. If you want to hear his guitar playing, then go check out Fozzy and Stuck Mojo. He does some singing in both bands also, and even has a solo album called "My Kung Fu is Good". So you can check that out too.

4.) Zakk Wylde
Black Label Society, Ozzy Osbourne. Two big names, and Zakk was a part of both. This is another guitarist who can sing and play the guitar flawlessly. He not only plays the electric guitar well, but he also plays acoustic.

5.) Kiko Loureiro
A name that wasn't very well known, until being brought into Megadeth in 2015. This guy is very talented. His solos will melt your face off. Don't believe me? Then go check out "Dystopia", and enjoy what Kiko can do.

6.) Marty Friedman
Another Megadeth member, though belonging in the alumni section after leaving January of 2000. Marty was the lead and rhythm guitarist for Megadeth in the 90's. Talk about another guy with amazing solos. My favorite solo of his is in Tornado of Souls. He also did a cool solo on Fozzy's album "All that Remains". The song for that is Born of Anger.

7.) Dimebag Darrell
This next guitarist isn't a favorite of mine because I don't like Pantera, but he is still good nonetheless. From what I heard on Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power", Dimebag definitely had a talent and deserves to be on this list.

8.) Tony Iommi
Black Sabbath.There's a big well known name among the metal community. Tony Iommi was their bassist, and in my opinion is one of the best and most well respected bassists in metal.

9.) Slash
Another personal favorite. Slash plays for Guns n Roses. He is also very talented when it comes to playing. You can hear it in his playing. An example is in one of my favorite Guns n Roses songs, Sweet Child o' Mine. The opening instrumental is just beautiful to me.

10.) Eddie Van Halen
They say save the best for last. So we end our list with the very talented and legendary Eddie Van Halen. The guitarist for the mighty band Van Halen.

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed this list.  I hope some of your favorites made it. If not, then let me know. You can hit me up on Twitter @MJWesney.
Thanks for reading guys. Be forever metal.

No comments: